Q1 2023 Quarterly Trends Report
- How performance marketing channels responded to shifting consumer demands
- How advertisers reached consumers in a challenging economy
- Key performance indicators for the first quarter of the year across retail media, paid search, and paid social
- Details on what drove notable trends and changes over time in each advertising channel
Retail media: Retail media continued to grow faster than either paid search or paid social, with spending up 30% YoY. Performance metrics have held steady or even improved during that time.
Paid social: Multiple factors are providing both headwinds and tailwinds for paid social spending. Once again, CPM dropped year-over-year while impression volume grew, but the latter was not enough to yield positive spending growth.
Paid search: Paid search spending grew 4% year-over-year, even as average cost-per-click dropped 9%. Campaigns that optimized towards revenue goals grew faster than the rest of search, while campaigns that focused on costs shrank.
In this report:
Download the report to learn quarter-over-quarter and year-over-year digital advertising campaign performance trends from Q1 2023. Highlights include:
- The overall trend of more ads at lower prices continued into the first quarter of 2023
- This can be interpreted as advertisers taking a more cautious approach amid economic uncertainty, one which focuses on efficiency rather than growth