Why are product marketers flocking to Amazon like never before? How big a role does it play in overall retail sales? We break down the Amazon advertising stats that marketers need to know.
Amazon has been around for 25 years now. In that time, it has become synonymous with ecommerce and a go-to resource many consumers can’t imagine doing without.
For its first 15 years or so, sellers could not advertise their products on the Amazon platform. And when Amazon did introduce advertising, it was fairly subtle, as consumers favored user reviews and price as their deciding factors. But in recent years, Amazon has seriously stepped up its advertising game, likely largely due to capture a portion of the massive opportunity online advertising represents. And that effort has not gone unnoticed by product marketers—Amazon is now the third-largest advertising platform, only behind Google and Facebook.
With the digital advertising market such a moving target, we’ve scoured the latest Amazon advertising stats to give you a solid understanding of where the platform currently stands.
Amazon Advertising Stats
- Projected share of ecommerce sales in 2019: 37.7%, up from 36.5% in 2018
- Product searches that originate on Amazon: 66%
- Number of worldwide monthly visitors: Nearly 200 million
- Number of visits in July of 2019: 2.65 billion, a high for this year, driven largely by Prime Day
- Projected revenue from advertising in 2019: $11.33 billion, up from $7.4 billion in 2018, and gaining ground on 2019 projections for Google ($48 billion) and Facebook ($28.5 billion)
- Global merchants with more than $100,000 in sales: Nearly 200,000, and that’s among millions of sellers on the site
- Percentage of products sold by third-party merchants: 54%, with most of those comprised of small businesses with five employees or less
If you’re a product marketer, you can clearly see that Amazon is a sales channel you can’t ignore. The ecommerce giant has shaped consumer behavior such that product searches almost begin there by default, making it a must for your advertising portfolio.
But Amazon is no ordinary PPC channel. In order to do it right, you need to factor in all of the elements that make for a smooth and seamless consumer shopping experience. Fail to do that, and all the effort you put into your advertising campaigns will be for naught, as Amazon won’t even display your ads!
For an in-depth overview of Amazon advertising, check out this whitepaper.
Do you have the right Amazon marketing tools?
Skai Ecommerce is the leading Amazon advertising technology platform to create, manage, forecast and optimize Amazon Sponsored Ads campaigns at scale.